From previous blog, you had learn create network security group.
Today, you will learn how to Create Azure Key Vault and create a key that will be used for SQL Server TDE key protection.
Set up an Azure Active Directory Service Principal
Before set up a Azure AD Service Principal, open notepad and copy following text and paste it into the notepad.
AppID: ObjID: spKey: KeyVaultURL:
- Search Azure Active and click the service
- Select ‘App registration’
- Click ‘+ New application registration’
- Type name and sign-on URL.
Name Application Type Sign-on URL securityworkshop### Web app / API http://contosoworkshop###.com
Note: Please replace ### into random 3 digit.
Click to finish the application registration.
- Click your application
- Copy Applicatoin ID and Object ID and paste them to your notepad
- To create a key, click the ‘Keys’
- Type descriotion and select expires as ‘In 1 year’ and click ‘Save’
- When a key is saved, you’ll see password on the screen. Copy the vaule and paste it to your notepad.
- When application registration is done, please make sure you have AppID, ObjID and the password vaule on your note.
Create a Key Vault
- Click ‘+ New’ and search Key Vault. And click “Create’
- Type new key vault name and select your resource group.
Name Subscription Resource Group Location Pricing tier Access policies safevault### yoursubscription workshop-### west us Standard 1 principal selected
- Click ‘Access policies’ and click ‘+ Add new’
- Select ‘Key, Secret, & Certificate Management’
- Click ‘Select principal’. And then search ‘securityworkshop###’ and click service principal fomr the result.
- Check cryptographic operation ‘Decrypt’, ‘Encrypt’, ‘Unwrap Key’, ‘Wrap Key’, ‘Verify’ and ‘Sign’.
- Click ‘OK’
- Click ‘Create’
- When a Key Vault is created, copy Key Vault DNS Name and paste it to your note.Your note should have all four vaules like following.
Add a Key
- Click ‘Keys’ and then click ‘+ Add’
- Type name to create an new key. Please name it as ‘securityworkshopkey‘. And then click ‘Create’
In Next , we will learn about Create SQL Server Virtual Machine.